On this page
Looking for information about living off campus?
Renewal Cancellation Timeline
If you change your mind or find other housing, you may cancel your on-campus housing for fall. Please note that canceling after the cancellation deadline will result in a penalty fee.
Cancellations received after:
- June 1 result in a $200 fee
- July 1 result in a $400 fee
- August 1 result in a $600 fee
To cancel, email housing.wwu.edu with the following:
- Request to cancel your fall housing
Current campus residents wanting on-campus housing for next year must go through the housing renewal process. (See Renewal Stages above).
If you are not a current on-campus resident, visit our Housing Timeline for information on how to apply.
Room & Board Rates
For room and board costs, refer to the rates for the current year. Please note that meal plans are required in residence halls and optional in Birnam Wood apartments.
Not Sure Where You Want to Live?
Check out our community pages to get a feel for the different communities on campus.
Pick Your Room
Before your assigned room-selection time, you may want to review Housing Options and Explore the Buildings.
Be aware of other factors that may impact your room selection:
- High-demand buildings are typically Birnam Wood, Buchanan Towers and BT East.
- Single rooms are scarce and do not exist in Birnam Wood. Half of the 80 singles on campus are reserved for disability accommodation.
- About 10 percent of rooms are withheld from the room-selection process to reserve space for live-in staff and disability accommodation for students.
- University Residences reserves the right to consolidate partially populated suites or apartments to equalize gender availability and make space for roommates and suitemates.
- During room-selection you get to choose the room you want, and if you have a confirmed roommate, you will pull them into the room.
- Special program communities can only be selected by students approved to participate in those programs:
- Black Affinity Housing: A Living Learning Community in Alma Clark Glass.
- Pride Housing: An LGBTQ+ Living Learning Community in Alma Clark Glass.
- La Comunidad: A Living Learning Community in Alma Clark Glass.
- Honors Housing: Edens Hall, Edens North and parts of Higginson is reserved for students enrolled in the Honors Program.
- Viking Launch: An early arrival academic program with options in Ridgeway Kappa or Fairhaven
Create a Roommate Group
To create a fall roommate group, Renewers must do the following:
- Both you and your roommate(s) must apply for housing during the application period.
- This enters your application into the Renewal Lottery. Applicants will either become eligible for Room Selection or be placed on the Renewal waitlist.
- Renewers who are become eligible for Room Selection may use Roommate Manager to search for and/or create a roommate group using the tool.
- All eligible Roommate Manager users may pair up with anyone else in Roommate Manager (i.e. with new freshmen or transfers).
- In order to invite someone, one of you must be the group leader - meaning they will create the group, give the group a name and choose a password.
- You will need to contact your roommate(s) and share the group name and password with them so they can log in to the portal and join your group to confirm the group.
- You must request and have your roommate(s) confirm your group by the deadline.
- Once confirmed, your MyHousing Dashboard should reflect your roommate group status.
- Group leaders can dissolve their own groups using the Cancel Group button that appears at the bottom of the main page (down below profile info).
Renewers with Current Accommodations
If you had an approved accommodation this year for a specific housing configuration (such as a single room) and are drawn in the renewal lottery, you will be reassigned to the same room again for next year. If you need to update your accommodations or would like a different assignment for next year, please contact your DAC access manager.
Many rooms are withheld from the room selection process to reserve them for accommodations. If you have a need that requires one of these rooms, complete the accommodation process with the Disability Access Center for Students. If you meet all renewal/accommodation deadlines and you are selected in the lottery draw, you will be assigned to a room that meets your needs based on availability prior to the start of Room Selection.