Housing Facilities Assistant (HFA)
HFA student staff members play an important role in supporting student community development, providing general support & customer service to UR residents, performing a wide variety of administrative duties (processing building access credentials, database updates, varying audits, sustainability initiatives, special projects focused on supporting residential communities while also intentionally developing student staff skill sets). HFAs also work closely with UR Residence Life staff to promote an environment where residents feel supported and safe to engage in student development and learning through University Residences Initiative for Student Engagement (URISE). By ensuring that the public and private living spaces UR residents occupy are well maintained, students can focus on maximizing their academic success and social/personal growth experiences while at WWU.
Areas of Support
There are five (5) focus areas within this program designed to provide support to UR residential communities while also offering HFA students a wide variety of work opportunities aimed at broadening their career skill sets for future employment after they leave WWU.
- Customer Service: Provide account management of assigned UR communities ensuring that maintenance requests submitted by residents are processed in a timely manner, conducting outreach actions as needed, and providing sustained client advocacy efforts that maximize customer service.
- Community Engagement: Provide residents in-person, facilities-focused support within each community and attend varying meetings (Hall Staff, Residence Hall Association).
- Building Inspections: Perform general walk through of buildings to assess living conditions, review detailed facilities audit reports, determine if adverse trends need attention, and work with management.
- Student Feedback: Solicit resident input and participate in focus groups supporting facilities projects.
- Building Access Credentials: Assist with credential audits (work/take home/vendor rings, electronic access fobs & cards, brass keys), electronic key box upgrade, and related database updates.
- Office Help: Assist with resident damage billing, create maintenance requests/generate work order backlog reports, assist with clerical duties (office supply, filing, mail distribution, meeting support).
- Lockout Support: Provide resident lockout service.
- Education & Awareness: Collaborate with campus partners to develop and/or execute presentations, training, engagement efforts, communications (monthly newsletters, e-mails) promoting Sustainable Living.
- Solid Waste Audits: Perform external (trash, composting, recycling dumpsters/toters) and internal (public space sorting stations, community bathroom/public restroom bins) inspections.
- Resident Checkout Program (RCP): Provide logistical (cycle count, condition assessment, storage optimization) and administrative (order fulfillment, database updates, advertising, usage analysis) support as needed.
- Building Audits: Perform detailed inspections (public amenities, entry points/pathways, community bathrooms/kitchens, restrooms) focusing on safety, appearance, functionality, and cleanliness.
- Asset Audits: Perform cycle counts & condition assessments during the academic year and/or summer period on specified assets (furniture, appliances, gaming/music/media equipment, art, other).
- Vacant Space Readiness: Inspect vacant spaces to ensure they are cleaned and ready for new occupant.
- Transport: Assist in loading & unloading vehicles, process items for transport (pack, crate, prepare, label, obtain receipts), perform other required tasks (unpack, check assemble, store items) as needed.
- Warehouse: Assist with central warehouse and/or remote storage space inventory actions.
- Furniture Projects: Assist with relocating and/or assembling/dismantling furniture as needed.
- Residence Life Hall Staff Meeting
- Attend on a bi-monthly basis (Tuesdays)
- Residence Hall General Meeting
- Attend on a bi-monthly basis (Wednesdays)
- Community Desk Weekly Presence
Desk Presence (4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.)
|Nash||Front entrance hallway||Wednesday|
|Edens-Higginson||EH front hallway above front desk||Monday|
|Ridge Communities||Across from dining hall entrance||Tuesday|
|Ridge Communities||South entrance hallway||Thursday|
|Fairhaven||Fairhaven lounge across from front desk||Wednesday|
|Buchanan Towers||Front hallway across from front desk||Thursday|
|Birnam Wood||Community Building (Main lounge)||Tuesday|
Emergency facilities issues should be reported to Facilities Management (FM) customer service center (360-650-3420) during normal business hours (weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. excluding holidays). Otherwise, contact University Police Department (UPD) dispatch at 360-650-3555.
All other maintenance requests should be entered in ReADY.