Western Welcome Team Volunteer Program
Western Welcome Team for Fall 2022
The Western Welcome Team is a volunteer opportunity for students to welcome over 4,000 new on-campus residents while assisting with move in. Each year nearly 300 students help direct traffic, unload vehicles, and assist with moving belongings to student rooms. New and returning students can participate and living on campus is not required. Volunteers receive a free WWU swag and meals during their shifts.
- Approximately 300 Western Welcome Team members are needed for Fall Move-In.
- Register online between April 1 - August 19.
- Meet new people, make friends, and help others.
- Get involved on campus and connect early with your hall staff, neighbors, and fellow Western Welcome Team members.
- Receive official 2022 Western Welcome Team swag.
- Attend the Western Welcome Team Leadership Institute to gain valuable skills.
- Move in early on September 13.
- Meals provided on the days you train and work, prior to the start of your meal plan.
- Attend all training sessions and scheduled shifts.
- Greet and direct students and families as they arrive.
- Unload vehicles and carry students' belongings to their rooms.
- Direct traffic, communicate by radio, and monitor long wait times.
- Maintain residential trash and recycling depots.
- Shifts are 4 hours per day Sept. 15-18, with training on Sept. 14.
- Must be a Western student, but living on campus is not required.
- Must be energetic and have a positive attitude.
- Must be able to stand for several hours at a time.
- Must be able to work outside in the sun, rain or wind.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds is preferred, but not required.
- Must be receptive to training and willing to take direction.
- Must be friendly and helpful to a diverse population of students and families.
- Must be available to move in on Tuesday, September 13 (no exceptions) between 9am - 4pm.
- Must be available for training and work September 15-18 (no exceptions).
- Must be available work all shifts as assigned (no exceptions).
- Receive the official 2022 Western Welcome Team T-Shirt to wear during Move-In.
- Move into your room early at no additional charge.
- Meals are provided:
- Wednesday, September 14: breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Thursday, September 15: breakfast, lunch
- Note: meals plans begin with dinner on September 15
- Attend WWU's Western Welcome Team Leadership Institute on September 14.
- Gain valuable leadership skills in areas such as teamwork, communication, collaboration, event planning, accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Meet other new students and connect with WWU staff.
- Learn about other opportunities to get involved on campus and in the residence halls.
Additional Information: Safety measures due to COVID-19
- Western Welcome Team members are expected to abide by and follow all COVID-19 protocols and procedures from University Residences and the University.