Diversity Poster Contest
2023 Diversity Poster Contest
The 2023 Diversity Poster Contest is an annual competition hosted by University Residences that offers Western students an opportunity to visually display how diversity impacts their lives.
Posters must promote an understanding of diversity within the Western Washington University community. Submissions work to develop and promote respect for the dignity of all people and help students gain awareness and appreciation for diversity.
Note: All submissions described as offensive, harassing, or targeting of any specific group will not be tolerated.
La Comunidad (The Community)
This year's theme is about Latine Culture and answering the question "What does La Comunidad mean to you at Western?". This years first place winner will have their poster displayed in the Latine Affinity Housing starting in the fall of 2024.
- Our grand prize winner will receive $300
- Our top 4 runners up will receive a cash prize of up to $50
On this Page
All submissions should electronically be submitted to Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org. No physical or pictures of designs will be accepted.
- Poster submissions must be 11" wide by 15.5" high (portrait settings)
- All submissions must include the theme title "La Comunidad"
- Submissions must be exported as a PNG or PDF with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi
The statement of your poster must answer the following questions:
- What is the title of your design?
- Why did you, as the artist, create this poster for the Diversity Poster Contest?
- How does this poster design represent this year's theme of La Comunidad?
- How does your poster support students' increased awareness and appreciation of diversity?
- Students must submit their artwork prior to 5 pm on Monday, May 1st.
- The Diversity Poster Contest Committee will vote on the top 5 submissions and select a winner by May 8th.
- Winner will be announced by May 15th.
- University Residences will publish the winner's poster to Latine Affinity Housing in the Fall of 2024.
History and Philosophy
Since 1997, University Residences has supported the Diversity Poster Contest. The event provides students the chance to artistically express what diversity means to them. Future and current students can see the diversity posters as visual representations of University Residences' commitment to a diverse and inclusive community.
Diversity Poster Committee
This year's Diversity Poster Committee consist of student leaders from the Residence Hall Association, National Residence Hall Honorary, Inclusion Assistants and Resident Advisors. Each member is dedicated ensuring that every complete submission received is thoroughly considered and select the poster that best represent this year's theme.
Ordering a Poster
Information on how to order a poster coming soon!
Diversity: Not Just a Theme
This year's theme 'Diversity: Not Just a Theme' is inspired by the idea that diversity cannot be boiled down to one thing. Unity and diversity at WWU is more than just a once-a-year occurrence, but something we live for and celebrate every day. Diversity is more than just a theme, it is real, it is felt, it is the here and now.
"Diversity in Bloom"