Drugs, Possession or Use Of


Possession or use of marijuana in any amount by any person is prohibited by the University. Although Washington State law allows adults age 21 and older to possess marijuana for personal use, federal law prohibits marijuana possession and use of any kind. The University receives federal funds, therefore University residents must adhere to federal laws pertaining to possession and use of marijuana. Students with medical marijuana are prohibited from possessing or using marijuana on campus and should consult with the Student Health Center for alternative treatment methods.

Other Drugs

No person may possess, use, manufacture, cultivate, package, distribute, sell or provide a controlled or illegal drug or substance. No person may misuse prescription or nonprescription drugs; no person may possess or use drug paraphernalia. Drugs are defined as, but not limited to:

  • Any chemical substance, compound or combination used to induce an altered state
  • Any otherwise lawfully available product, over-the-counter or prescription drug used for any purpose other than its intended use
  • Any hallucinogen
  • Any intoxicant other than alcohol (alcohol is addressed separately)
  • Any nervous system depressant
  • Any stimulant

Your body is considered a container; therefore, using/consuming drugs or marijuana (regardless of location) and then returning to your residence hall constitutes possession of the drug or marijuana.

Any student who remains in the presence of someone violating this drug policy may be subject to conduct sanctions.