University Residences offers summer housing to continuing campus residents, students attending WWU Summer Session, and students attending summer programs at local community colleges. Minimum stay for academic residents is three weeks. Students wanting to stay less than three weeks may contact Guest Housing.
Summer residents must meet one of the following requirements:
- Registered for at least 5 credits through WWU Summer Session or local post-secondary education institution
- Participating in a WWU related internship or field work
- A continuing resident who has confirmed housing for 2019-2020
- A resident employed by University Residences or Dining Services
1. Apply for Housing
The summer application is open from April 1 through May 15. Be ready to select your building preference and room type, intersession housing (if needed), take a roommate survey, request a specific roommate if you have one in mind, and accept the Summer Housing Agreement. No deposit is required; your current housing deposit ($200) will continue on file as your summer housing deposit.
2. Check MyHousing Portal
Following the application period, pick up information for your personalized summer instructions is posted in MyHousing. Logistics for your particular contract and the transition process from your current location to your summer location involve firm deadlines and are complicated, so in-person pick up to discuss transition is required.
3. Pick up Assignment
In late May you will be prompted (via your MyHousing portal status) to stop by Edens Hall in person to receive your instructions and room assignment. Failure to follow your instructions may involve extra housing charges or cancellation.
1. Apply for Housing
The summer application is open from April 1 through May 15. Be ready to select your building preference and room type, intersession housing (if needed), take a roommate survey, request a specific roommate if you have one in mind, and accept the Summer Housing Agreement. Once you have applied, track your status in the MyHousing Portal. Following the application period, applicants who have confirmed their admission will be prompted to pay the $200 housing deposit; notification begins in late May.
2. Pay Deposit
When notice of deposit due posts in the MyHousing Portal, follow the payment instructions to carefully ensure proper processing of your deposit. Deposit Deadline is June 1.
3. Assignment Posted
Room assignments are posted in the MyHousing Portal, along with roommate and suitemate information by June 14. You are encouraged to contact your roommate to get acquainted and plan what to bring.
Typical Length of Stay
|6-Weeks||Jun 23 - Aug 2||Coincides with WWU 6-week Summer Session Classes.|
|9-Weeks||Jun 23 - Aug 23||Coincides with WWU 9-week Summer Session Classes.|
|All Summer||Jun 23 - Sep 21||Available for Birnam Wood residents confirmed in 2019-2020 housing.|
Residence Hall: Higginson Floors 4 & 5
- Meal Plan Required
- Maximum Stay: 9 Weeks
Apartments: Birnam Wood Stacks 1 & 2
- Meal plan Optional: plans available through Dining Services, Edens Hall 109
- Maximum stay: 9 Weeks (unless you are eligible for the all-summer option)
All-Summer Apartment Option
Birnam Wood summer residents who have successfully renewed for the 2019-2020 academic year are eligible to remain in Birnam Wood for the month between the end of summer session and the start of fall quarter. If you select the all-summer contract on your application, and later cancel your fall housing, your summer contract term is shortened to 9 weeks, you will have a new move out date, and be subject to a contract breakage fee.
Move to Fall Assignment
If your summer assignment differs from your fall assignment, you must move to your fall assignment on the required move date. Plan ahead so that you are here for your mandatory move date range:
- Fall assignment in Birnam Wood: move date range August 24 – September 1.
- Fall assignment in a residence hall: move date range September 15 – 22.
2019 Construction at Birnam Wood
Most of the complex will be under construction for roofing and siding projects throughout the summer. This means limited apartment space and parking is available, walking paths are routed around construction sites, and noise is at a high level during long working hours throughout the summer. Please keep this in mind when selecting this option for the summer.
Intersession Housing (June 15 - 22)
Spring quarter ends at 4 p.m. Friday, June 14, and summer housing begins 10 a.m. Sunday, June 23. Most students go home for the week between (known as intersession), but housing is available at an extra cost for those who need to stay and are continuing with a summer contract.
- Intersession Assignments: Room assignments during intersession are typically the same as your summer housing assignment, but you may be assigned to a temporary location until your summer location becomes available; in this case you must move twice.
- Mandatory Move Dates: You are assigned a specific move date/time between June 15 and 17, and you must be available to move during this time period. If you leave campus and you are not available during your assigned move time, your belongings will be boxed up and put in storage, and your room will be rekeyed at your expense.
Cancellation Prior to Occupancy
Cancellations received after June 1 will result in forfeiture of your $200 housing deposit. Cancellations must be submitted in writing in person or by email to Housing@wwu.edu; please include your name, student ID, and a statement cancelling your housing reservation.