Birnam Wood Apartments
Apartment living for non-first-year students is offered in Birnam Wood where
130 units accommodate 520 students. Birnam Wood is located half a mile from the
campus core, on the bus line and close to shopping, restaurants and Interstate
5. The majority of units are all male or all female, but a few units are gender
- Each apartment is furnished for four students and includes two
double-occupancy bedrooms, full kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom and
balcony; wheelchair-accessible units have a roll-in shower, washer and dryer.
- Quarterly cost per student includes wireless Internet, digital cable,
utilities, and use of the laundry facilities.
- Residents have access to the community building, front desk, computer lab,
bike storage and permit parking.
- Birnam Wood is supervised by a full-time, live-in Apartment Coordinator and
five part-time, live-in Community Advisors.
- Meal plans are optional and available under a separate contract.
- Birnam Wood is reserved for non-first-year students; first-year students
may request consideration.
- Two-bedroom apartments for married students or students with dependents are
offered on a space-available basis; contact Housing@wwu.edu for rates and
How to Apply
Incoming Students: To request Birnam Wood, simply apply for housing and make
Birnam Wood your top housing preference. Space may not be available for all who
request Birnam Wood, so be sure to select alternative housing preferences in
your housing application.
The BW staff of Community Advisors provides support that does not come with
other off-campus apartments; they plan a variety of community programming as
well as special events. Residents may join an active Community Council and
participate in activities such as movie nights, potlucks, or the annual all
campus Murder Mystery Dinner! Birnam Wood is also home to the largest
population of international students on campus, making it a unique and diverse
One of the largest programming initiatives that Birnam Wood takes part in is
South Campus Glory. Residents from Fairhaven, the BT Community and Birnam Wood
gather to represent their respective halls in a variety of social events such
as dances, movie nights and ice cream socials, and friendly competitions with
the goal of developing pride for the South Campus community.
2901 Bill McDonald Pkwy, Apt#
Bellingham, WA 98225
|FLOORS or STACKS
||7 Stacks, 3 floors each
||Some units wheelchair accessible
||Open during breaks
||1 Apartment Coordinator, 5 Community Advisors
Typical Student Room
||Living room: sofa, end/coffee tables, lamp, lounge chair
Kitchen: refrigerator, stove, sink
Dining area: table and chairs
Bedroom: beds, desks, chest of drawers, closet
||Average apartment: approx. 845 sq. ft.
||Average double room: approx. 129 sq. ft.
||Carpet throughout, vinyl sheet in bathroom/kitchen
||Overhead, floor, and desk lighting in each unit
Lounges and Common Areas
- Community Building with information desk, computer lab and laundry room
- Main Lounge/TV Lounge in community building with piano
- Outdoor picnic area with BBQ
Building Floor Plans
- Building 1, Floor 1
- Building 1, Floor 2
- Building 1, Floor 3
- Building 2, Floor 1
- Building 2, Floor 2
- Building 2, Floor 3
- Building 3, Floor 1
- Building 3, Floor 2
- Building 3, Floor 3
- Building 4, Floor 1
- Building 4, Floor 2
- Building 4, Floor 3
- Building 5, Floor 1
- Building 5, Floor 2
- Building 5, Floor 3
- Building 6, Floor 1
- Building 6, Floor 2
- Building 6, Floor 3
- Building 7, Floor 1
- Building 7, Floor 2
- Building 7, Floor 3