Moving In

Fall Move In

Fall Move In is scheduled for Sept. 16 - 19!

More information about room selection, arrival times, and general Move In information is coming soon.

Check this page and your email regularly to stay up to date on spring arrival, COVID-19 testing and other important Move In information.

COVID Move In Requirements

Schedule Your Move In Time

The Move In App opens August 16 at 9 a.m.

Once the Move In App opens, you  can select your Move In time and browse through all the important information you need for the big day!

Where to Arrive

South Campus

Northbound on Interstate 5 

  1. Take Exit 252 (Samish Way, W Wash University) 
  2. Turn left at stop sign onto Samish Way 
  3. Turn left at light onto S Samish Way 
  4. Turn left at light onto Bill McDonald Pkwy 
  5. Continue on Bill McDonald Pkwy for 1 mile 
  6. Arrive at your building's 20 minute waiting zone


Southbound on Interstate 5 

  1. Take Exit 252 (Samish Way, W Wash University) 
  2. Turn right onto Samish Way 
  3. Turn left at next light onto Bill McDonald Pkwy 
  4. Continue on Bill McDonald Pkwy for 1 mile 
  5. Arrive at your building's 20 minute waiting zone

North Campus

Northbound on Interstate 5 

  1. Take Exit 253 (Lakeway Dr) 
  2. Turn right onto King St 
  3. Turn right onto Lakeway Dr 
  4. Continue on Lakeway Dr for .5 miles 
  5. Bear right onto E Holly St 
  6. Turn left onto Billy Frank Jr. St 
  7. Continue on Billy Frank Jr. St for .5 miles 
  8. Arrive at your building's 20 minute waiting zone


Southbound on Interstate 5 

  1. Take Exit 253 (Lakeway Dr) 
  2. Turn right onto Lakeway Dr 
  3. Continue on Lakeway Dr for .3 miles 
  4. Bear right onto E Holly St 
  5. Turn left onto Billy Frank Jr. St 
  6. Continue on Billy Frank Jr. St for .5 miles 
  7. Arrive at your building's 20 minute waiting zone

Don't Get a Parking Ticket

  • Use the 20 minute unloading zones at your building to unload your vehicle.
  • When you are finished unloading, move your car to one of WWU parking lots:
    • Free parking available: 12A and C lots
    • Pay to park: 6V, 7G and 14G lots
Students serve themselves food at a residential dining hall

Dining Services

Residential Dining Commons

Two dining commons are open with takeout and in-person options, abiding by Washington State guidelines:

  • North Campus: Viking Commons
  • South Campus: Fairhaven Commons

Viking Dollars are prepaid debit funds that go on your Western ID card for exclusive use at the cafés, markets or dining commons on campus. Purchases made with Viking Dollars are discounted 10 percent and food purchases are exempt from sales tax (another 8.7 percent). Purchase Viking Dollars at the Arntzen Atrium, Miller Market, Wilson Library Zoe’s, VU Market, Edens Hall 109, or online at

Each residential meal plan comes with a quarterly allowance of meals plus $223 Dining Dollars. Meals are available at any dining commons: swipe your Western ID card when you enter the commons and one all-you-care-to-eat meal will be deducted from your dining balance. Unused meals expire at the end of the quarter.

Dining Dollars may be spent in any of the campus cafés, markets, or dining commons and carry over from one quarter to the next. Meal plan changes can be made by visiting Campus Dish. Upgrades are accepted anytime, and downgrades are accepted through the second Friday of each quarter.

  • Apartment residents can purchase an optional meal plan at

If you are living with food allergies, you are familiar with managing your health and wellness. Western works hard to provide the tools you need to maximize your dining experience on campus. We encourage you to meet with our registered dietitian and executive chef when you arrive on campus.

One side of a dorm room with essentials and decorations

What to Bring

Bed Options

Twin XL sheets will fit any of our mattresses on campus.

Rooms are configured as high singles with the exception of triple rooms which require lofts.

For disability accommodation, contact the Disability Access Center.

For more information visit Bed Options.

Suggested Essentials

  • Approved appliances: electric tea kettles, coffee makers, blenders, electric fans, air purifiers, rice cookers, microwave ovens up to 900w, mini-fridges no larger than 4.5 cubic feet.
  • Clothing: plan for rain, snow and sun; bring warm layers, sensible shoes, rainproof jacket with hood, warm coat, waterproof boots, scarf, hat and gloves.
  • Emergency kit with rechargeable flashlight
  • Environmentally-friendly cleaning supplies
  • Flashlight: plan for shorter daylight hours in the winter.
  • Laundry gear: laundry bag, hamper or basket, detergent, hangers.
  • Linens: extra-long twin sheets, mattress pad or topper, pillows, blankets, comforter, sleeping bag, towels.
  • Medical: prescription medications, pain reliever, cold remedies, tissue, thermometer, antacid, allergy medicine.
  • Official documents required for employment: Social Security card, passport, driver’s license, birth certificate.
  • Personal technology: laptop, tablet or desktop computer, USB-connected printer, game console, TV, fire-safe surge protector.
  • Security items: fireproof lockbox or locking storage chest, laptop cable lock.
  • Storage: food, dishware, clothing, hangers, outdoor gear.
  • Toiletries: shower caddy and bathroom supplies.
  • Travel toolkit: half-inch socket wrench for bunking or lofting your bed.
  • Face Coverings

Prohibited Items

  • Firearms or weapons
  • Flammable materials or explosives
  • Hazardous appliances: electric hotplates, burners, toasters and toaster ovens (allowed in suites with kitchenettes), space heaters, electric blankets, halogen lamps over 300w, hover boards, any appliance that is not UL approved.
  • Non-university beds or accessories
  • Pets are prohibited, but fish in tanks under 10 gallons are allowed. Assistance animals are not considered pets.
  • Wireless Routers

Assistance Animals

If you plan to bring a service dog or an emotional support animal, see Animals in Residence at

Sun shining on brick stairs near Mathes and Nash Hall


Official Communication

Your WWU email is the University’s official method of communication. Housing staff regularly send official, time-sensitive communication by email. You are accountable for all information sent to your student email. You may set up email forwarding to redirect your Western email to a personal email account.

Receiving Mail & Packages

To ensure your mail successfully reaches your residence hall, address mail and packages as presented below, using your official first and last name. You should always use trackable, insured options when mailing cash or anything of value. When tracked items arrive, pickup notice is sent to your university email account.

For more details on resident mail, visit

student carrying four stacked boxes on move in day

Shipping Items Before You Arrive

It may be practical to ship some of your belongings in advance, especially if you are coming from another state or country.

Your Full Name
516 High Street
Hall Name + Room Number
Bellingham, WA 98225

  • Packages are accepted a maximum of seven days prior to your arrival; any packages sent more than seven days in advance, may be returned to sender.
  • To ensure proper delivery, address the package in the format presented above and use trackable insured options.


A ResTek consultant assisting a resident with a laptop computer


Tech Support

Residential Technology Services (ResTek) provides technology education and support by phone and email on issues concerning Internet connectivity, cable and streaming TV, game consoles and copyright law. For more information, visit ResTek.

Residential Computer Labs

Each community has access to a 24-hour computer lab.

Connecting to the Internet

WiFi is provided throughout the residence halls and is included in your room rate.

Wireless routers are prohibited on our network. You can access the Internet through WWU WiFi using your universal login.

Note: wireless printers connected to our network can be seen and possibly used by other students. For more information, visit:

Xfinity on Campus television streaming service is provided to all students living on campus. Most buildings also have a traditional “coax” connection option.

HELPS staff assisting students with moving in

Odds & Ends

Standard Amenities

Every room comes with WiFi, digital cable, window coverings, a recycle bin, compost bucket and trash can. Standard furnishings for each student include: dresser or built-in drawers, closet or wardrobe for hanging clothes, a desk and a chair.

Laundry Facilities

Each residential community is equipped with energy-efficient front-loading washers and dryers. Laundry is included in your room cost. No laundry card, coins or tokens are required.


Residents are responsible for the regular cleaning of their room, suite or apartment, including the proper disposal of trash and recyclables. Toilet paper is provided in the residence halls; Birnam Wood residents must provide their own toilet paper.

Suite style bathrooms:

You and your suitemates are also responsible for cleaning your bathroom. Environmentally friendly cleaning products are strongly encouraged.

Please note: suite-style bathrooms will be cleaned once per month.

Hallway style bathrooms:

Custodial staff clean your bathroom daily if you live in a building with community bathrooms.

Public Spaces:

Custodians clean and disinfect public spaces at least three times per day.

Keep Your Stuff Safe

The University assumes no responsibility for loss or damage to your personal property from any cause. We strongly recommend you obtain Student Property Insurance. 

Bringing a car to campus?

Make sure to sign up for a parking permit prior to arrival. 

Visit for more information.


Racks designated for bicycle storage are provided throughout campus and within each residential community. Bicycles stored anywhere else are subject to impound. To see the type of bike storage available in your building, go to

Flowers blooming outside Mathes Hall on a sunny day

Need to Know

Room and board are billed to your student account before the start of each quarter, and your student account is accessible through MyWestern. Housing and meal plan rates are available at

The term of the Housing Agreement is the length of the academic year, or remainder thereof if you moved in midyear. Termination of occupancy before the last week of spring quarter may result in checkout penalties and a contract breakage fee. For more information, visit

As a member of the residential community, you are responsible for understanding and abiding by the residential policies and procedures, including the Housing Agreement, the Community Standards and Conduct Procedures. Before you move in, take the time to get familiar with the policies and procedures at

At check-in you will receive a set of keys and/or fob that gives you access to your community, building, room and mailbox. You are financially responsible for your keys/fobs. Lost or damaged keys/fobs create a security risk to you and your community and must be reported to your front desk immediately.

Students desiring a room change within the housing system can initiate a request with their Resident Director starting the third week of the quarter. Transfer requests may take several weeks or longer to fulfill depending upon current occupancy.

Once you register for classes, you are eligible for an official Western ID card. Your card covers:

  • WWU official photo ID
  • Swipe-access to your meal plan and Viking Dollars
  • Student bus pass and shuttle
  • Rec Center access
  • Athletic events
  • Library Services For more information, visit