Mail & Deliveries
To ensure delivery to your on-campus residence, letters and packages must be properly addressed as in the format below, and include your official first and last name. Although many students go by a middle name or a nickname, mail that is addressed to anything but an official first and last name is often refused.
After You Move Out
- No U.S. Postal Service mail, UPS, Fed Ex, or similar parcels can be forwarded by University Mail Services. If you are not a summer student living on campus, all mail and parcels will be returned to the sender. If you order something or plan to receive mail late in spring quarter please give your summer or home address to the sender.
- Notify all possible senders of your changed address. See if your publications and businesses provide online address change service to speed up your address change information.
- Contact Mail Services for postcards which can be sent to your correspondents to inform them of your address change.
Best Practices for Successful Mail and Delivery
- Correctly address mail and packages: Incorrect addressing is the most common issue that causes a delay in students’ mail delivery. See Official Mailing Address section above.
- Be sure to select the accurate “Ship To” address when making online purchases.
- Do not ship items that might arrive more than one week before your scheduled move-in date. Packages that arrive more than a week before this date may be returned to sender.
- Do not send valuable items that are easily identifiable; never send cash! (See Mail of Value or Importance section below).
Campus Post Office
The U.S. Post Office is located on the fifth floor of the Viking Union, one floor down from the VU's main entrance on High Street. The post office offers stamps, shipping supplies and excellent customer service.
Changing to an Off-Campus Address
- If you are moving off campus completely, it is essential that you inform Western of your new mailing address by updating it in Web4U. Please note you must wait 3-5 business days after checking out before you can do this. If you are transferring rooms within the housing system, your mailing address will update itself in Web4U.
- Submit an Official U.S. Postal Service Change of Address to automatically forward any mail that is still being sent to your old address. Please note this does not forward mail or packages sent through other carriers, such as UPS and FedEx.
- Change your address with people and businesses that send you mail.
- Change your shipping address with online shopping sites, such as Amazon, Chegg, PayPal, etc.
- Note that Campus Mail Services is unable to forward mail to off campus addresses. Items that arrive after you move off campus will be returned to senders.
- Monday – Saturday: WWU Mail Services delivers mail to residence halls
- Sunday and postal holidays: No residence hall delivery.
- Saturday & Sunday delivery by carriers such as UPS and companies like Amazon is NOT available for campus residents. Please take this into consideration when ordering items requiring a tight delivery deadline.
Flowers & Other Surprise Deliveries
Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, and they do not have traditional street addresses. This makes person-to-person delivery of flowers, balloons, cupcakes and other fresh surprises difficult. If you are planning such a delivery, contact Residence Life at 360-650-2960 in advance to discuss a delivery strategy.
Letters, Cards, Magazines, and other non-tracked items
- Any letters, magazines, postcards etc., are delivered to students’ mailboxes which students check at their convenience.
- One mailbox is shared with all occupants of a room, whether that room is a double or a triple.
- All mailed items are processed with the highest security of personal items in mind. However, items without tracking numbers often can’t be located by the University if misplaced or not properly delivered. Please see Best Practices above for successful mail delivery.
Mail During Breaks
Mail is delivered to all residential buildings during breaks with the exception of when the desk is closed. Students are notified when a package is ready for pick up, but can only claim them during the reduced Intersession desk hours, posted at the front desk. If you have any questions please contact Housing-Mail@wwu.edu or Mail Services (360-650-3770).
Mail of Value or Importance
- Parents or family members sending anything of value or importance—such as cash, gift cards, passport or medication—should use a method that includes insurance and delivery confirmation, such as Priority Mail or Certified Mail.
- Mail requiring a signature (Registered Mail, Certified Mail, etc.) must be picked up and signed-for in person by the addressee. Students receive a notice in their mailbox with pickup location and instructions.
Official Mailing Address
Every student has two addresses on file with the university: a permanent address associated with a hometown or family home, and a mailing address in the Bellingham area. As a campus resident, your residence hall or apartment is your official mailing address in Web4U; when you move out, you are responsible for updating your mailing address with your new location.
Outgoing mail should be dropped in the USPS collection box in front of the Viking Union or sent from the Campus Post Office on the fifth floor of the Viking Union.
Package Delivery Process
Packages for residential students go to WWU’s Mail Services Center and are delivered to the appropriate residence hall front desk, typically within one business day.
Exceptions include fall quarter opening week when, due to the high volume of mail, packages may take up to three business days to reach residence halls.
A package with a tracking number:
- Arrives on campus at WWU Mail Services Center, and is sorted for afternoon delivery to residence halls
- Is delivered to the appropriate residence hall front desk between 2-5 p.m. for processing; student is notified via WWU email from WesternPackageTracking@wwu.edu that their package is ready for pick-up.
- Student brings ID to the front desk to claim their package. PLEASE NOTE: Students will receive one reminder email to pick up their package. If the package is not claimed by the timeframe indicated in the reminder email, the item will be returned to sender.
- FYI: Students can track the progress of their package once it arrives on campus by navigating to wwu.sclintra.com and entering the tracking number provided by the carrier.
|No Status||Package often has not yet arrived to campus or has an unexpected issue that is causing a delay|
|Arrival Scan||Package has arrived on campus and received by WWU Mail Services Staff|
|Departure Scan||Package is in route and being transported to the Residence Hall|
|Desk Accepted||Package has been received by Residence Hall Front Desk staff & is being sorted|
|Ready for Pick Up||Package is available for the student to claim at the Residence Hall Front Desk with their ID|
|Picked Up at Hall||After the package has been claimed & picked up by the student|
If a different status appears and the student has questions, they are encouraged to contact their front desk staff.
- Fall: Delivery begins on Friday before the start of fall quarter and ends on Friday of finals week.
- Winter: Delivery is suspended during winter break and resumes on Monday before winter classes begin; any mail received during the break is held at Mail Services until delivery resumes.
- Spring: Delivery is suspended during spring break and resumes on Monday before spring classes begin; any mail received during the break is held at Mail Services until delivery resumes.
Delivery ends on Friday of finals week; any mail received thereafter is returned to sender.
- Summer: Delivery during summer session begins on Monday before classes begin.
Delivery ends on the last day of the nine-week session; any mail received thereafter is returned to sender.
Resolving Mail or Package Issues
- Please contact University Residences Mail Operations at Housing-Mail@wwu.edu with questions or concerns about residential mail or packages.
- Please be prepared to provide the students' name, W#, and the tracking number of the mailed item.
- If a package is reported to University Residences Mail Operations team as lost, missing or extremely delayed, we take due diligence to perform a thorough search through each step in our delivery process. This process may take a few business days, which may further delay delivery of the item to the student.
- Ultimately, if the package cannot be located, the student is referred to WWU Risk Management to follow the Tort Claim process. This is a separate process with its own established timelines and requirements.
Staying on Campus from Spring Quarter to Summer Quarter Housing
Once the last day of spring quarter has passed, your campus address will be automatically updated to reflect your summer assignment. Mail and packages for summer residents will be delivered to their summer assignments beginning the first day of summer quarter.