Community Standards

The residential student conduct process is designed to promote an understanding of students' responsibilities as members of the Western community. We help students understand how to act in a manner consistent with high standards of behavior and maintain the safety and well-being of all members of the University residential community.

Western Washington University students enjoy the same basic rights, privileges, and freedoms granted to all members of society. At the same time, acceptance of admission to the university carries with it an obligation to fulfill certain responsibilities and expectations as a member of the Western Washington University community.

By choosing to be a member of the residential community, you agreed to abide by all residential policies and procedures, which are subject to change without notice. Residential students must assume responsibility for their own actions and maintain an environment conducive to the academic success, safety, and well-being of others. In addition, they are expected to be truthful, respect the rights of others, and abide by all university policies and procedures, as well as all local, state, and federal laws and regulations.


Anything your leave behind will be considered abandoned property, removed at your expense, retained for 30 days and then destroyed or donated to a bona fide charity.

If your roommate moves out, you must keep the vacant side of your room clean and empty for a new roommate. A new roommate may be assigned to your room anytime during the remainder of the academic year. Building staff will make every effort to provide advance notification that a new roommate is coming, however a new roommate may arrive without notice. You may be subject to disciplinary action and charged additional room rent if the vacant side of your room is not clean and empty when a new roommate arrives, if you turn away a newly assigned roommate, or if you discourage a prospective roommate.

University Residences adheres to the University's Accommodating Persons with Disabilities policy (POL-U1600.03), which is in compliance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as amended; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-11) and 45 C.F.R. Part 84; Fair Housing Act of 1968, Chapter 49.60 RCW; and Chapter 28B.10 RCW.

The Residential Community Standards incorporate information on the Disability Accommodation in University Residences page, which include the steps to receive a disability accommodation in University Residences.

  1. 1. Persons under the age of 21 may not buy, possess, consume or otherwise acquire any alcoholic beverage. If you are under 21, it is unlawful to possess any amount of alcohol in any container, whether in a bottle, can, cup, or your body.
  2. Your body is considered a container; therefore, consuming alcohol (regardless of location) and then returning to your residence hall constitutes possession of alcohol.
  3. Any student who remains in the presence of someone violating this alcohol policy may be subject to conduct sanctions.
  4. No person may sell, serve, or otherwise furnish alcoholic beverages to any person under 21.
  5. WWU students of any age may not be in a room with someone who is violating those alcohol policies.
  6. University residences and their guests who are 21 or older may possess and consume alcoholic beverages within their own rooms, suites, apartments, and balconies with railings. However, the following activities are prohibited in University Residences even among persons of legal drinking age:
    • Possession or consumption of alcohol as a guest in a room where one or more of the assigned residents are under age 21.
    • Possession or consumption of alcohol anywhere within substance-free residence halls or living areas.
    • Possession or consumption of alcohol on ground-floor patios.
    • Possession or consumption of alcohol in a public place such as hallway, lounge, lobby, street or sidewalk.
    • Playing or facilitating drinking games of any kind, including drinking games in which water is substituted for alcohol.
    • Possession of a common-source container intended for alcohol, full or empty. Common-source containers include full size kegs, pony kegs, mini kegs, party balls and beer bongs.

In situations involving intoxication, alcohol poisoning, or drug-related medical issues, students are encouraged to seek swift medical assistance for themselves and others without fear of penalty. Students requesting and receiving medical assistance in these situations will not typically be subject to the student conduct process. This policy refers to isolated incidents and does not excuse students who repeatedly or flagrantly violate the alcohol or drug policy, nor does it preclude action arising from other violations of the Community Standards. University Residences will consider the positive impact of reporting a situation when determining any course of action.

Complainants and witnesses who in good faith report sexual violence will not be subject to alcohol or drug violations of the Residential Community Standards occurring at or near the time of sexual violence, unless their own conduct places another person's health or safety at risk. Without imposing sanctions, University Residences may initiate educational remedies regarding alcohol or drug use.

University Residences is committed to supporting the University's educational purpose and mission, and works in partnership with the Disability Access Center providing students access to all levels of the residential experience. While pets are not allowed in University Residences, animals classified as service animals (per the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended) or emotional support animals (per the Fair Housing Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973) are permitted. Campus residences with a service animal or emotional support animal must adhere to the following:


Service Animal: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (Titles I and II), a service animal is any animal individually trained to perform tasks for an individual with a disability, and the tasks performed must be directly related to the disability. The law allows service animals into all campus buildings, including University Residences (UR), dining venues, libraries, classrooms, etc.

Emotional Support Animal (ESA): Also known as a comfort or therapy animal, an ESA is any lawful animal providing a therapeutic benefit to a person with a verifiable disability. Unlike service dogs, ESAs are limited to their owner's residential building; entry into dining venues and other campus buildings is prohibited. Campus residents are limited to one approved ESA.

Pets: Pets are prohibited, but fish in tanks under 10 gallons are allowed. Service animals and ESAs are not considered pets; however, they do require approval and documentation from the Disability Access Center (DAC).

Requesting Accommodation - Three Part Process

Part One: Incoming or current residents requiring a service animal or an ESA will receive information about having an animal on campus, and will receive information about the standard procedure for requesting reasonable accommodation through DAC. A service animal notification is complete after part one.

Part Two: If a student's ESA request has been approved by DAC and noted in the placement tool; the student must contact University Residences to set up an animal review. University Residences must be allowed a reasonable amount of time to respond to requests for an assistance animal accommodation.

Part Three: The resident meets with University Residences staff to discuss the decision. If approved, they will review the Conduct Expectations for themselves and their animal.

Note: University Residences may not permit an animal if it believes the accommodation will pose a substantial or direct threat to the health or safety of the community, or if it presents an undue financial or administrative burden.


All animal owners must adhere to the following guidelines; failure to comply with these guidelines or the UR Housing Agreement, could result in conduct action, damage or cleaning fees, removal of animal from University Residences, and/or eviction of the owner.

  1. The animal must not pose a threat to the health or safety of others, and the owner is responsible for any financial or contractual liability occurring as a result of animal's behavior.
  2. The owner must be in compliance with Bellingham Municipal Code as it relates to the care and control of the animal.
  3. The owner must ensure animal has proper immunizations, licenses and any required veterinary documentation. University Residences has the right to request documentation relevant to these health and safety records at any time at which point documents must be produced.
  4. The owner must be in compliance with the Residential Community Standards and will be held accountable for how the animal impacts residents, staff, other animals and the facilities.
  5. The owner must have the animal under control at all times by means of a harness, leash or tether, unless it interferes with the animal's work or it is not compatible with the owner's disability.
    1. The owner may not leave the animal in the care of another resident.
    2. The owner may not leave the animal unattended in their assigned room overnight.
    3. The owner is responsible for providing a safe and secure barrier between the animal and others who may enter the room when the owner is not present. The barrier is to be appropriately sized for both the animal and the room, and not restrict the animal from healthy movement, access to nourishment, or expose the animal to harm. University Residences recommends the owner consult with a veterinarian when choosing an appropriate barrier for animal.
    4. The owner is responsible for understanding University personnel reserve the right to enter any residential room, with or without notice, for the purpose of health and safety, maintenance repair, facilities inspection, or other official business.
    5. The owner of an ESA may only take the animal in to residential buildings: where their Housing keys give them access.
  6. The animal must be housebroken; otherwise it must be caged at all times. The owner is responsible for the proper bagged disposal of animal waste in appropriate outside containers. If the owner is physically unable to dispose of the animal's waste, they must make arrangements with someone who is capable.
  7. The owner is responsible for keeping their animal free from pests such as fleas, ticks, mites, etc.; and for any charges resulting from damage, cleaning, or pest infestation.
  8. Keeping, raising, or using live feed of any kind (crickets, mice, etc.) is strictly prohibited.
  9. Bathing animals in any sink, shower or tub located in University Residences is prohibited.
  10. In the event of roommate conflict, required moves will be based upon the standard policy of using Housing Priority Date to determine who will be moved.
  11. In the event of a complaint, the owner should contact WWU Equal Opportunity.

Residential Buildings

Residential buildings are locked at all times and no persons, except those listed below, are authorized to enter. If you believe someone has entered your building without authorization, notify the front desk (if open) or the University Police at 360-650-3911. Certain public areas on the ground floors of the Fairhaven Administration building and Buchanan Towers are unlocked and open to all members of the University community during business hours.

  • Residential students and invited guests
  • University staff on University business and wearing University ID badges
  • Non-University personnel on University business and wearing University visitor badges
  • Alumni, prospective students and families on official campus tours

Residential Rooms

University personnel respect every student's right to privacy, safety and security. University Residences has the right to enter any residence hall room or apartment for the purpose of facilities inspection, maintenance requests, student health and wellness and other official University business. Depending on the reason for entry, students typically receive notification 24 hours in advance.

Per standard protocol, University personnel will knock twice, while announcing themselves. If there is no answer, they will announce themselves once more upon entry of the room or apartment. Staff will be wearing University ID badges.

If University personnel discover policy violations while in a student's room, appropriate follow-up will occur.


Balconies and sundecks are available in some buildings for common use. Community guidelines apply to these areas as well. Smoking is not allowed on any sundeck or balcony. Sundecks are not available during inclement weather. Staff may restrict use and availability as deemed necessary.

Barbecue grills are a potential fire hazard in a community living environment. However, barbecue grills may be used on balconies and patios in Birnam Wood and on the Edens Hall deck. You must monitor your barbecue grill at all times. You must extinguish charcoal and dispose of it properly. If you live in a community other than Birnam Wood and you wish to barbecue, contact your Resident Director and they will direct you to an appropriate grilling location. Gas grills are prohibited.

All residential buildings have bicycle racks. Bicycles found in hallways, stairwells and residential public areas are subject to impound; this includes bicycles locked to hand railings, posts and other structures not designated for bicycle storage. Bicycles left in racks and storage rooms after the halls close in June are considered abandoned property and disposed of accordingly.


Candles, incense, torches or open-flame devices are prohibited in University Residences. Careful use of candles or incense for birthdays or religious purposes is allowed with advance permission from your Resident Director.

The Housing Agreement requires residents to follow proper checkout procedure when moving out at any time for any reason. Typical reasons for moving out include graduation, moving off campus, or transferring rooms within University Housing. See our Financial Information page for complete information about contract breakage fees, housing deposit refunds, and more.

  1. Schedule a room inspection. Make a plan for when you will officially check out based upon your final exam schedule, the checkout deadline, commencement, transportation or other variables. Once you determine your move-out date, make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance to have your room inspected by your resident adviser. The deadline to checkout at the end of the quarter is 4 p.m. on the last day of the quarter; failure to meet the deadline will result in a $35 improper checkout fee and other possible charges. If commencement ceremonies or transportation issues conflict with the checkout deadline, contact your resident director in advance for permission to stay until noon Saturday.
  2. Notify your roommates and suitemates that you are moving out. Discuss responsibility for any damage that occurred while you were living in your room and/or suite. Charges for cleaning, damage, missing items or trash disposal are automatically split between roommates/suitemates unless you clarify individual responsibility at the time of inspection.
  3. Vacate and clean your share of the space. You are expected to leave your room clean, empty and properly assembled for the next person to move in. If you checked out any bed parts to alter your bed, you must return those bed parts and leave your bed in its original configuration. Anything you leave behind will be considered abandoned property, removed at your expense, retained for 30 days, and then destroyed or donated to a bona fide charity.
  4. Complete your room inspection. Your resident adviser will assess the condition of your room while you are present. Individual responsibility for damage or missing items should be clarified during the inspection.
  5. Check out in person at your front desk. Go to your community's front desk to hand in your keys and sign a checkout receipt. If you are unable to checkout during desk hours, you must make arrangements in advance with your resident director. Failure to turn in keys when you check out will result in key charges from $100-$200. Checking out in person is required even if you have lost your keys.

Every student with access to the University network and computing resources has accepted the terms of the User Agreement for Network and Computing Resources. Violations of the User Agreement occurring in University Residences may fall under the jurisdiction of University Residences, Academic Technology and User Services (ATUS) and/or University Judicial Affairs. Violations include, but are not limited to, the following activities:

  • Using an unauthorized IP address
  • Sending unsolicited mass mailings including chain letters/email, solicitations and spam
  • Violating terms of applicable software licensing agreements or copyright laws. This includes providing for distribution copyrighted music or video files
  • Deliberately wasting computing resources or excessive bandwidth use
  • Using a computer account without authorization
  • Using the campus network to gain unauthorized access to any computer program
  • Knowingly performing an act which will interfere with the normal operation of computers, terminals, peripherals or networks
  • Attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or uncover security loopholes
  • Using electronic mail to harass others
  • Masking the identity of an account or machine
  • Posting materials that violate existing laws or the University's code of conduct on electronic bulletin boards
  • Attempting to monitor or tamper with another user's electronic communications, or reading, copying, changing or deleting another user's files or software without the explicit agreement of the owner
  • Using the network for commercial purposes or charging for any service to access the network
  • Using another person's computer account or identity


No sign or display of any kind shall be displayed to the outside public in any window or balcony of a residential living space. Limited exceptions exist for signs or displays supporting events sponsored by the hall council, resident advisers or approved by the resident director. Residents are permitted to display items on their room doors including decorations and white boards to promote a positive living experience.

When decorating your room or room door, please refer to the guidelines below:

  • Avoid material that a reasonable person might find offensive.
  • Don’t post material that attacks, demeans, or otherwise exploits an individual or group of individuals.
  • Do not permanently affix materials to the doors.
  • Refrain from using non-recyclable materials.

University staff reserve the right to ask students to remove any decorations from walls, doors, windows, balconies, floors, etc. Failure to comply with such a request will be considered a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Demonstrations that materially or substantially disrupt the normal operation of University Residences will result in conduct action.

University Residences adheres to the University's Accommodating Persons with Disabilities policy (POL-U1600.03), which is in compliance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as amended; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-11) and 45 C.F.R. Part 84; Fair Housing Act of 1968, Chapter 49.60 RCW and Chapter 28B.10 RCW.

The Residential Community Standards incorporate information on the Disability Accommodation in University Residences page, which includes the steps to receive a disability accommodation in University Residences.

Disruptive behavior will result in disciplinary action. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to:

  • Physical abuse
  • Verbal abuse
  • Threats
  • Intimidation
  • Coercion
  • Obstruction or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of self or others
  • Failure to complete sanctions
  • Failure to cooperate or comply with University officials
  • Providing false identification or information
  • Violating policies and procedures
  • Being in the presence of someone violating policies and procedures


Possession or use of marijuana in any amount by any person is prohibited by the University. Although Washington State law allows adults age 21 and older to possess marijuana for personal use, federal law prohibits marijuana possession and use of any kind. The University receives federal funds, therefore University residents must adhere to federal laws pertaining to possession and use of marijuana. Students with medical marijuana are prohibited from possessing or using marijuana on campus and should consult with the Student Health Center for alternative treatment methods.

Other Drugs

No person may possess, use, manufacture, cultivate, package, distribute, sell or provide a controlled or illegal drug or substance. No person may misuse prescription or nonprescription drugs; no person may possess or use drug paraphernalia. Drugs are defined as, but not limited to:

  • Any chemical substance, compound or combination used to induce an altered state
  • Any otherwise lawfully available product, over-the-counter or prescription drug used for any purpose other than its intended use
  • Any hallucinogen
  • Any intoxicant other than alcohol (alcohol is addressed separately)
  • Any nervous system depressant
  • Any stimulant

Your body is considered a container; therefore, using/consuming drugs or marijuana (regardless of location) and then returning to your residence hall constitutes possession of the drug or marijuana.

Any student who remains in the presence of someone violating this drug policy may be subject to conduct sanctions.


Any electrical device used within University Residences must be certified by Underwriters Laboratories. University Residences reserves the right to remove any dangerous electrical appliance brought by a student into a residential building.

Approved: Electric teakettles, coffee makers, rice cookers, microwave ovens up to 900w, and refrigerators up to 4 cubic feet.

Prohibited: Hotplates, electric blankets, space heaters, and halogen lamps over 300w. Toaster and toaster ovens are prohibited except in suites with a kitchen or kitchenette.

Anyone found responsible for tampering with an elevator or engaging in reckless or dangerous behavior that places themselves or others at risk will face disciplinary action.

Students can view and update their Emergency Contacts via Web4U. The University will only reach out to the individuals on the list in the event of an emergency.

Unless authorized by the University, possession of explosives, weapons, firearms, dangerous chemicals, and fireworks is prohibited on campus, on property supervised by the University, or at University-sponsored activities. Weapons include, but are not limited to:

  • Firearms of any kind
  • Look-alike weapons
  • BB guns, pellet guns, paintball and airsoft guns
  • Martial arts weapons
  • Projectile devices, such as catapults or slingshots
  • Objects used as weapons to threaten or injure
  • Swords and knives; small kitchen knives and folding pocket knives up to 3.5" permitted


Tampering with, disabling or damaging any fire safety apparatus, equipment or smoke detector is prohibited under RCW 43.44.110. This includes willfully and falsely activating a fire alarm. Such violations will likely result in eviction and referral to the University Police.

Use of any fireplace in a residential building requires permission from the Resident Director.


Gambling in University Residences is prohibited by University policy and Washington State law. Gambling includes online gambling, betting on athletic events, and the possession of gambling devices.

  1. A guest is an individual who is present in a residential building but is not a member of that building's residential community. Guests must be accompanied by a member of the building's residential community at all times.
  2. Guests in University Residences are expected to comply with all University policies and procedures, as well as all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Students who invite guests into their residence hall or apartment are responsible for their behavior and may be held responsible for any alleged violation(s) committed by their guests.
  3. Only the official residents of a given room or apartment may reside in that room or apartment. Overnight guests are permitted only with the permission of the roommates, suitemates, or apartment-mates. Overnight guests may not stay for more than three consecutive nights or more than seven nights per quarter, including in rooms where residents do not have roommates.


Harassment and threats of violence are prohibited behaviors that create a hostile or threatening educational or working environment. These behaviors include but are not limited to:

  • Unwanted and/or intimidating contact of a threatening nature, including verbal, nonverbal, written or electronic communication.
  • An expressed or implied threat to an individual's personal safety or property, academic efforts, employment, or participation in University activities.
  • Intentionally and/or repeatedly following or contacting another person in a manner that intimidates, harasses, or places another in fear for their personal safety or to their property.
  • Behavior that threatens or intimidates on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), age, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, and sexual orientation (including gender expression or identity).

As a member of the residential community, your housekeeping habits directly influence the living environment of those around you. You are socially and financially responsible for the condition of your space and how it impacts others. Campus living is an educational opportunity to learn valuable skills in housekeeping, cooperation, and self-awareness.

Student Responsibilities

  • Your Room: You are responsible for keeping your room clean. Failure to maintain a reasonable level of cleanliness can cause undue wear and tear on your room and furnishing, foster pest infestations, spread germs and illness, and may project an atmosphere that feels disrespectful or unwelcoming to others.
  • Community Bathrooms: Corridor style halls contain community bathrooms cleaned daily by custodial staff. Edens North, Mathes Hall, Nash Hall, Ridgeway Alpha, Delta, Kappa, Omega and Sigma are corridor style halls with community bathrooms. Toilet paper is provided in every hall and available at your front desk.
  • Suite Bathrooms for Eight Students or More: If you live in a suite designed for eight or more students, your bathroom will be cleaned twice weekly by custodial staff. Suites for eight or more students are located in Fairhaven, Ridgeway Beta and Gamma. You will be notified of the bathroom cleaning schedule at the start of the year, and you must remove personal items or the bathroom cannot be cleaned. Toilet paper is provided in every hall and available at your front desk. Please note that all suite bathrooms undergo a comprehensive cleaning and maintenance protocol each quarter; you will receive notification by email.
  • Suite Bathrooms for Seven Students or Less: If you live in a suite designed for seven students or less, you and your suitemates are responsible for cleaning the bathroom yourselves. These building include Birnam Wood, Buchanan Towers, Buchanan Towers Each, Edens Hall, Fairhaven Complex, Higginson Hall, Highland Hall, Ridgeway Beta and Gamma. Toilet paper is provided in every hall and available at your front desk. Please note that all suite bathrooms undergo a comprehensive cleaning and maintenance protocol each quarter; you will receive notification by email.
  • Private Bathrooms: A handful of rooms on campus contain private bathrooms located in Edens North, Nash Hall Ridgeway Alpha, Kappa and Omega. If you have a private bathroom in your room, you are responsible for cleaning it. Toilet paper is provided in every hall and available at your front desk.
  • Cleaning Supplies & Equipment: You are responsible for providing your own cleaning supplies and equipment. Toxic products such as bleach, ammonia, drain cleaner and pesticides are prohibited. Be aware and respectful of suitemates who are sensitive to certain household cleaners or heavily-scented products. Brooms, vacuums and toilet paper are provided at your community's front desk.
  • Trash and Recycling: You are responsible for neatly disposing of your trash and recyclables in your community's collection area. Your room comes with a recycling bin and trash can, and trash bags are available at your community's front desk.
  • Maintenance Requests: You are responsible for submitting a maintenance request whenever something in your room, suite or apartment needs to be fixed or replaced. Typical reasons for filing a maintenance request include a flickering or burned-out light bulb, dripping faucet, clogged toilet, slow drain, or insect infestation. Please note that most maintenance requests are resolved quickly and at no cost to the student.

What Holds Students Accountable?

  • Inspections: University personnel are authorized to enter your room or apartment for the purpose of facilities inspection, maintenance requests, student health and safety, or other official University business. If the condition of your room, suite or bathroom is determined to be unacceptable, you will be notified and given a deadline by which you must clear and pass a follow-up inspection. If you fail to follow-up for the inspection, you will be charged for cleaning by custodial staff.
  • The Vacancy Standard: If there is a vacancy in your room, suite or apartment you must remain ready to receive a new roommate of suitemates by keeping the vacant portion empty and the occupied portion of the room/suite clean, presentable and welcoming. When leaving for intersession, you are advised to leave your portion of the room/suite clean and presentable in case your current roommate unexpectedly moves out. If the room/suite is not clean and presentable, you may be notified and given a chance to clean before a new roommate arrives. Otherwise, you may be charged the super-single rate for the date the vacancy occurred.
  • Consequences for Not Doing Your Part: In order to maintain a clean and healthy living environment, students are expected to communicate, cooperate and share responsibility for cleaning within their room and suite. Failure to do your part may be considered disruptive behavior, which can ultimately result in conduct action.


Residential buildings are locked 24 hours a day and residents are expected to ensure doors latch behind them when they enter and exit; and no one should ever leave a door propped open. Always lock your door whenever you leave the room, take a nap or go to bed.

For a lost or missing key, please see Missing keys/fobs.

If you are locked out of your hall or room, please see Locked-out assistance.


Lounges and other common areas are living spaces intended for residents to study, relax, and gather. Use of these areas should be inclusive and yield to other residents in the space; if conflicts arise, staff can assist in facilitating a resolution.

Furniture may be rearranged to accommodate activities, but must be returned to its proper location afterwards. Please note that personal property left in lounges or common areas may result in theft. Overnight sleeping is not permitted.

Residents wishing to organize activities for their community can contact their Resident Advisor or Resident Director. The cleaning and re-setting of a common area is the responsibility of those using the area. Priority for use of common areas:

  • Staff initiated or sponsored programs
  • Hall Council or community activities
  • Resident use for academic purposes
  • Resident use for social or recreational purposes


Students can confidentially designate someone outside of their Emergency Contacts to be reached, if the University has reason to believe the student has gone missing.

Should a student go missing, WWUPD will initiate communication to the specified contact listed as the Missing Persons Contact. To assign someone as your missing persons contact, speak to our front desk in Edens Hall 108.

Note: If a student does not designate a Missing Persons Contact, their Emergency Contact will serve as their Missing Persons Contact.


Examples of Pest

  • Ants
  • Bats
  • Bees
  • Bed Bugs
  • Birds
  • Fleas
  • Cockroaches
  • Mice
  • Rats
  • Silverfish
  • Spiders
  • Squirrels

What to do when you have pests in your room or in the residence halls:

Notify any of the following:

  2. University Residences Facilities (360-650-3556)
  3. Resident/Community Adviser
  4. Resident Director
  5. Front Desk


If you see an insect, catch it with a piece of tape or a cup and save it for the pest control technician to identify.

Small Animals

Do not try to catch wild animals on your own. They may bite!

Raised Skin Bumps

If you have itchy red bumps, go to WWU Health Center (360-650-3400). This is not confirmation of bed bugs, but a symptom of a variety of conditions that need medical attention and diagnosis.

  • Alcohol: See Alcohol, Possession or Use Of.
  • Personal Beds or Bed Parts: Non-university mattresses, non-university beds, non-university bed parts, homemade bed modifications, and water-filled mattresses.
  • Drugs: See Drugs, Possession or Use Of.
  • Firearms & Weapons: Firearms, ammunition, BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, Airsoft guns, rockets, hunting knives, switchblades, slingshots, sticks/clubs, laser pointers, explosives, dangerous chemicals, toy guns that look real.
  • Flammable Materials & Explosives: Explosives, fireworks, gasoline or any other flammable materials; candles, incense, or any other open-flamed device, decorations made from cut, resin-bearing trees or vegetation such as fir, pine, cedar, spruce and eucalyptus.
  • Hazardous Electronics: electric hotplates, burners, toasters, toaster ovens, electric space heaters and halogen lamps.
  • Pets: See Animals in Residence.

To prevent physical injury or property damage, the following activities are strictly prohibited in or around University Residences:

  • Throwing anything from a building, window or balcony.
  • Throwing anything at people, buildings, windows or structures.
  • Throwing anything in a public/common area.


Courtesy Hours

Courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day. Any noise your make is not to be excessive or disruptive to your community. If you are asked by anyone to quiet down, you are expected to comply immediately. Excessive noise is a violation of student rights and is unacceptable in University Residences. To minimize impact on others, students with amplified instruments, game systems, or audio equipment are advised to use headphones.

Quiet Hours

While the purpose of courtesy hours is to minimize disruptive or excessive noise, quiet hours are meant to maintain an atmosphere for studying and sleeping. The quiet hours below apply to all residential communities. Individual residence halls, by action of their hall councils, may choose to implement stricter policies. Again, whenever you are asked by anyone to quiet down, you are expected to comply immediately.

Quiet Hours:

  • 11 p.m. Sunday - Thursday nights
  • 1 a.m. Friday & Saturday nights

Quiet Hours end at:

  • 7 a.m. Monday - Friday mornings
  • 9 a.m. Saturday & Sunday mornings

Quiet Floors

Highland Hall (stack one) is a designated quiet floor. Quiet hours on this floor begin at 9:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights, and continue each day until 9 a.m. Residents on the designated quiet floor sign a Quiet Floor Contract agreeing to comply with these hours and acknowledging that noise violations in may result in removal from the community.

Quiet Hours During Finals Preparation Week & Finals Week

Each hall council is responsible for designating extended quiet hours for the week before finals week. Every hall has 24-hour quiet hours throughout the week of finals, starting at 7 p.m. on Sunday evening and ending at noon on Friday.

Noise Violations

While it is each student's responsibility to control noise, it is also the responsibility of those impacted by noise to contact the community member and request that the noise be reduced. If this approach does not succeed, contact a residential staff member. When the efforts of residential staff are not sufficient, University Police may be called to resolve noise complaints.


Unauthorized access to any roof (apartment or residence hall), removal of window screens, climbing through windows, or on building exteriors, balconies or ledges is prohibited. Suspending any object from windows, building exteriors, balconies or ledges is prohibited. Residents who need to retrieve an item from any of these areas must contact their Residence Director for assistance.


Uniform Fire Code (1982 Edition, Section 11.415) and University parking regulations prohibit the storage of scooters, motorcycles and other gas powered vehicles in your residence hall or apartment. If any such vehicle is discovered inside a University residence hall or apartment over the break, it will be subject to impound at the student's expense.

It is the policy of the University to provide an environment in which students, staff, and faculty can work, live and study free from sex discrimination, which includes sexual misconduct. Residential staff act to prevent sex discrimination and will respond appropriately to all reported incidents. Individuals who engage in such behavior will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with University Residences and the University; this may include removal from University Residences, expulsion from the University, and civil or criminal prosecution. For more information about the University’s Sex Discrimination policy, please view POL-U1600.04.

If an incident occurs to you or you know of an incident, please immediately contact at least one of the following people/offices:

For a full list of campus resources involving sexual harassment, sexual assault or sexual violence, please visit the Equal Opportunity Office.

Smoking is defined by directly inhaling or exhaling smoke from any, or burning any, or carrying any lit, smoking instrument, or using an electronic cigarette or device. Smoking is prohibited in all University Residences buildings and within 25 feet of doors, windows, and ventilation intakes. This includes but is not limited to all balconies and all public spaces such as lounges, stairwells, hallways, food service areas, and laundry rooms. Smoking is also prohibited at any outside area that may affect the air supply of residential buildings. Residents and guests who smoke must respond to requests to move to another location. Residents and guests who smoke must dispose of smoking refuse properly.

Residential Conduct Procedures

Due to a variety of local, state and University guidelines, students may not use their university residence for the purpose of running a business.

Most forms of solicitation are prohibited in University Residences and unauthorized solicitation should be immediately reported to staff. Prohibited forms of solicitation include making contact with residents for the purpose of:

  • Promoting an activity or event.
  • Promoting or endorsing an idea or person, such as a political candidate, recycling, or religious belief.
  • Recruiting for a club or organization
  • Selling something, such as an object, product or ticket to an activity or event, even for the purpose of fund-raising.

Permitted forms of solicitation are made available to University Residences groups (RHA, Hall/Tenants Councils, and NRHH) and staff (Resident Advisors, Fitness Center and Computer Lab staffs, and University Dining Services personnel) to promote University Residences-related activities and programs. Opinion polls or fund-raising activities conducted by residents of a particular hall or apartment are permitted within the hall of residence or community building for apartments in accordance with the policy established by the Hall or Tenants' Council.


Taking, attempting to take, aiding another in taking or possession of property belonging to another member of the University community, the University or its guests is prohibited. Please note that taking food, dishes or utensils from the dining commons is considered theft and may result in disciplinary action.

Students wishing to change rooms may initiate a request with their Resident Director no sooner than the third week of the quarter. Transfer requests may take several weeks or longer depending on available housing options.

Note: unauthorized room changes may result in improper checkout fees or key charges.

Entering a residential building or room without authorization or permission is prohibited. See Authorized Entry: Residential Buildings.


Students can view and update their address or phone numbers at any point, via Web4U.


Vandalism, including graffiti or alteration (temporary or permanent) of University property will result in disciplinary action and financial responsibility for the full cost of repair or replacement.