⚠ Renewal Group Update ⚠
Renewal Roommate Groups Cannot Contain Non-Renewers: Renewal Roommate Manager Open until 4/19 at 5pm
Updated 4-19-21 at 2pm
We discovered some of our Roommate Manager logic failed, allowing a few of you to select NON-Renewer roommates. Please click below for more information.
Housing Renewal is Open!
Apply and create roommate groups before April 15 to enter in the Lottery Draw on April 22.
Current campus residents wanting on-campus housing for next year must go through the housing renewal process. (See Four Renewal Stages below).
If you are not a current on-campus resident, visit our Housing Timeline for information on how to apply.
1. Apply and Create Roommate Groups: April 1 - 15
Apply online anytime during the renewal application period of April 1 - 15 . The application includes selecting a meal plan, completing a roommate profile, creating an optional roommate group and accepting the Housing Agreement. All on-time applications are entered into the lottery draw. Late applications are placed on hold pending space availability. Renewal applicants do not need to pay another housing security deposit; your current housing deposit serves as your renewal deposit.
Renewal Application and Roommate Selection Deadline: April 15
2. Lottery Draw: April 22
Applicants are randomly drawn for the eligible pool, and the remaining applicants are randomly ordered for the waitlist. As cancellations occur in the eligible pool, waitlisted applicants move up the queue into eligible status.
3. Room Selection: April 26 - June 15
Pick your own room and pull in your confirmed roommate for next year using our online room-selection system. Following the lottery draw, eligible applicants are assigned a room-selection time (just like when you register for classes) based on your original housing priority date. Each phase has times assigned in 15-minute increments. Your specific time will be posted in MyHousing. Once you submit your room selection, you confirm your housing for next year.
Please note: Room Selection Priority is given to residents who create roommate groups.
- Phase A: April 26 - 27 (Roommate Groups of 3+)
- Phase B: April 28 - 30 (Roommate Pairs)
- Phase C: May 3 - June 15 (Free Selection)
On this page
Looking for information about living off campus?
Returning Resident Renewal Cancellations received by June 15 result in no penalty. Cancellations received after:
- June 15 result in a $200 fee
- July 15 result in a $400 fee
- August 15 result in a $600 fee
To cancel your housing, email email@example.com with the following:
- Change Fall Housing Status to one of the following options:
- You want to cancel fall but may want Housing winter/spring quarter
- You want to cancel Housing for the 2021-22 academic year
Housing renewal is reserved for current campus residents with matriculated student status. Renewers must maintain their renewal eligibility for the remainder of the current academic year. If you do not fulfill the terms of the Housing Agreement, your housing renewal for 2021-22 will be cancelled.
Note: current residents doing a study abroad or internship for spring quarter 2021 may be eligible for housing renewal. Contact University Housing for more information.
Those who are not eligible for housing renewal include:
- New incoming freshmen and transfers for fall 2021.
- Current residents who have not been granted formal admission to Western.
- Current residents attending other colleges.
- Students currently living off campus.
Room and Board Rates
For room and board costs, refer to the rates for the current year. Please note that meal plans are required in residence halls and optional in Birnam Wood Apartments.
Not sure where you want to live?
Check out our showrooms to get a feel for the different communities on campus.
Pick Your Room
Before your assigned room-selection time, you may want to review housing options and explore the buildings.
Be aware of other factors that may impact your room selection:
- High-demand buildings are typically Birnam Wood, Buchanan Towers and BT East.
- Single rooms are scarce and do not exist in Birnam Wood. Half of the 80 singles on campus are reserved for disability accommodation.
- About 10 percent of rooms are withheld from the room-selection process to reserve space for live-in staff and disability accommodation for students.
- University Residences reserves the right to consolidate partially populated suites or apartments to equalize gender availability and make space for roommates and suitemates.
- Special program communities can only be selected by students approved to participate in those programs:
- Pride Housing: An LGBTQ+ Living Learning Community (formerly known as Gender Inclusive Housing) in Buchanan Towers.
- Edens Hall is reserved for students enrolled in the Honors Program. Non-Honors roommate requests will be waitlisted until Sept. 1.
- Housing Interest Areas are rooms designed as Substance Free. Look for these room types in room selection.
- During room-selection you get to choose the room you want, and if you have a confirmed roommate, you will pull them into the room.
Look for or substance-free room types in room selection if you want to live in these communities.
Tour the Buildings
Housing has 360 panoramas of every room. Check out the interactive room tours on Explore the Buildings.
How Do I Create a Roommate Group?
To create a fall roommate group, Renewers must do the following:
- Both you and your roommate(s) must apply for housing in order to use roommate request
- One of you will be the group leader - meaning you will create the group, give the group a name and choose a password
- You will need to contact your roommate(s) and share the group name and password with them so they can log in to the portal and join your group to confirm the group
- You must request and have your roommate(s) confirm your group by TBD
- Once confirmed, your MyHousing Dashboard should reflect your roommate group status
Requesting a Roommate that Currently Lives Off Campus
It is not likely the two of you could be roommates on campus next year. Unlike new students (who are guaranteed housing), current off-campus students wanting on-campus housing for next year are considered on a space-available basis in August or September. Since off-campus students are not eligible for renewal, you cannot add them to your room.
Renewers with current accommodation must contact Disability Access Center for Students before March 1 each year they plan to renew. Many rooms are withheld from the room selection process to reserve them for disability accommodation.