Checkout Deadline: 4 p.m. Friday June 9, 2017
Campus residents must be completely moved out by 4 p.m. on the last day of
spring quarter. Step-by-step instructions for moving out will be distributed to
students in early May. Communities are also spreading the word through floor
meetings, posters and email. If you are registered for summer housing, you will
receive special instructions in late May regarding intersession housing, room
transfers and summer move-in. Students are strongly encouraged to communicate
early in the process with parents, guardians or family members.
- Make your plan now: Make a plan to vacate your room within 24 hours of
your last final exam or by the checkout deadline, whichever is sooner.
Unless you are registered for summer housing or you are doing commencement
ceremonies, you must be officially checked out by the deadline—no exceptions.
Failure to check out by the deadline will result in an improper checkout fee
and other avoidable charges. If you need to stay late for commencement, you
must contact your resident director in advance for permission to stay until
noon on Saturday.
- Start packing soon: Do not wait until finals week to start packing and
cleaning! Start early, pack and clean a little each day, and check out after
your last final.
- Take some stuff home on Memorial Day weekend: By spring quarter, many
students have accumulated more stuff than they can pack up in a day and fit
into a single carload. If you are heading home for Memorial Weekend, we highly
recommend taking some stuff home.
- Arrange your own storage: Western does not offer student storage. If you
are from out-of-state or you have a lot of stuff, you may want to arrange for
- Responsibly dispose of your trash and recyclables, and donate your unwanted
items: Throughout the last two weeks of spring quarter, every community has
a designated collection area for students to donate reusable clothing,
technology, toiletries, etc. Donations are processed by the AS Recycle
Center and given to bona fide charities.
- Avoid waiting until the deadline to check out: Please note that students
checking out on Thursday and Friday of finals week may experience long lines.
If your last final is Tuesday, we recommend you check out by Wednesday if
- Load your own stuff: Unlike fall move-in weekend, spring move-out is not
facilitated by a volunteer corps student movers. This means you will need to
load your own things to the car, or partner with friends and family members who