Western maintains over a million square feet of housing and dining space on its century-old, 215-acre campus. Sixteen residence halls and one apartment complex make up eight unique residential communities, each community with their own resident director.
Western’s campus is live-on optional and has an operating capacity of 4,145 residents. Within the division of Enrollment and Student Services, the department of University Residences employs 60 full-time staff and more than 150 student staff.
University Residences engages students in diverse and inclusive, healthy, safe and sustainable communities that foster academic success and personal growth.
University Residences supports and is guided by the:
- University Mission and Strategic goals
- Division of Enrollment and Student Services Mission and Areas of Key Strategic Focus
- Board of Trustees Guiding Principles for the Western Washington University Housing and Dining System
- 10 Year Capital Plan
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCC) recommendations of the 2008 Comprehensive Evaluation Committee Report
- Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) professional standards for higher education
- Association of College and University Housing Organization-International standards and guidelines
- Student Centered
- Collaborative Partnerships
- Culture of Evidence
- Customer Service
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Safe and Secure Residential Communities
- Work Environment